JHP Campbell - American Biography

American Biography: A New Cyclopedia, Volumne 10 (about 1921)

CAMPBELL, John Henry Pitbladdo, - Business Man

One of the most widely-known men in the monumental trade in the East, John Henry Pitbladdo Campbell, who died recently, was a man of unusual force of character, his activities largely centering in his business interests, and his social relaxations centering about his home and church life.

Mr. Campbell was a son of John Campbell, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and came of a long-lived family of sturdy-spirited Scottish ancestors. John Campbell married, in Scotland, Euphemia Pitbladdo, who was born in St. Andrews, Scotland, and they came to the United States shortly after their marriage, the sailing vessel in which they were passengers making the trip in ninety days. They were parents of six children: Mary, now Mrs. Sheldon, of Oakland, California; Euphemia, Anna, Lela, John Henry Pitbladdo, William. The old chest which they brought to this country, and which contained all their effects, is now in the possession of their grand-daughter, Mrs. Lillian M. (Campbell) Cash.

John Henry Pitbladdo Campbell was born in the old town of Gowanus, Long Island, New York, October 12, 1845, and died in Brooklyn, New York, June 16, 1921. As a child he entered the publics schools, and gained his formal education entirely through its course. At the age of fourteen years he entered the employ of his uncle (materal) William Pitbladdo, who was then the head of the Pitbladdo Monumental Works located at the corner of Fifth avenue and Twenty-fifth streets, Brooklyn, close to the entrance of Greenwood Cemetery, which is (line missing) bell was associated with his cousin, Thomas Pitbladdo, until his death. He was responsible for the broadening of the business, his extensive travels in their interest carrying the name of Pitbladdo to many distant points throughout the United States, even into the far West. His special work was in connection with the building of vaults and outside brick graves, and the setting up of monuments, following closely, in the early days, the tide of progress westward. He superintended the use of the heaviest derricks then in existence. Through all the history fo the firm, since his connection with it, he was a force for constant progress, and in all his dealings with the trade, and with the public generally, he was upright, straightforward and sincere, winning universal esteem for himself and confidence for his house.

Many years ago Mr. Campbell was a member of the old Volunteer Fire Department f the city of Brooklyn. He was always more or less actively identified with politics in his ward (the eighth), loyally supporting the principles and policies of the Republican party, but never sought political preferment. He was a devout and consistent Christian, and one of the oldest members of the old Warren Street Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a teacher in the Sunday school of his church, and was formerly leader of the Young Men's Union, which has more recently been merged with the Young Men's Christian Association.

Mr. Campbell married, March 21, 1873, Margaretta Van Wicklen, daughter of Daniel and Hannah (Cheshire) Van Wicklen, and they were the parents of one child, Lillian M., now the wife of (line missing) wedding anniversary, and his constant grieving over the loss of his wife is believed considerably to have hastened Mr. Campbell's death, which was directly due to Bright's disease. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. George Rittenhouse, and Mr. Campbell now lies buried in Greenwood Cemetery.